Superior productivity—increased mobility
- Print from virtually anywhere, using HP ePrint.
- Drive productivity and save paper, using automatic two-sided printing.
- Use built-in Ethernet to share printing resources on a network.
- Boost productivity with fast print speeds.5 Reload paper less often with up to 250-sheet paper capacity.
- With AirPrint™ you can simply print wirelessly from your iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod touch®.
Web-connected ease of use
- Use business apps and the 3.5-inch (8.89 cm) color touchscreen to access and print from the Web.
- Install your printer fast—there's no CD required with HP Smart Install.
- Use the easy-access USB port to print from a flash drive.
- Easily control your print environment with market-leading management tools.
Professional-quality output for a great value
- Produce professional-quality business prints with bold, crisp text and sharp images.
- Depend on a printer with up to 3000-page recommended monthly page volume—the ideal fit for reliable printing.
- Save money by saving energy—HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology powers your printer up and down automatically.
- Save time with easy-to-install Original HP cartridges, and save more with high-capacity cartridges.
Reduced environmental impact
- Reduce energy use with HP Auto-On/Auto-Off Technology.
- Reduce paper use by up to 50% with automatic two-sided printing.
- Easily recycle Original HP LaserJet toner cartridges through HP Planet Partners.
- Reduce packaging waste—Original HP toner cartridges ship in the printer.
Print speed black:
Normal:Up to 35 ppm
(Measured using ISO/IEC 24734, excludes first set of test documents. For more information see http://www.hp.com/go/printerclaims. Exact speed varies depending on the system configuration, software application, driver, and document complexity. )
First page out (ready)
Black:As fast as 8 sec
Print quality (best)
Black:Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
Duty cycle (monthly, letter)
Up to 50,000 pages;
(Duty cycle is defined as the maximum number of pages per month of imaged output. This value provides a comparison of product robustness in relation to other HP LaserJet or HP Color LaserJet devices, and enables appropriate deployment of printers and MFPs to satisfy the demands of connected individuals or groups.)
Recommended monthly page volume
750 to 3000
(HP recommends that the number of printed pages per month be within the stated range for optimum device performance, based on factors including supplies replacement intervals and device life over an extended warranty period.)
HP PCL 5e, HP PCL 6, HP Postscript Level 3 emulation, direct PDF (v 1.7) printing
- 3.5" (8.89 cm) touchscreen contorl panel, CGD (Color Graphic Display)
HP ePrint capability
Mobile printing capability
- HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint™, Business Applications
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0
- 1 Host USB
- 1 Ethernet 10/100/1000T network
- 1 Walk-up USB
Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet)
Minimum system requirements
Microsoft® Windows® 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit/64-bit): 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor, 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit), 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port; Windows® XP32 SP2 (32-bit): Pentium® 233 MHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 400 MB hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet, USB or Network port;
Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6, v 10.7; PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel® Core™ Processor; 500 MB hard disk; CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or Internet; USB or Network
Compatible operating systems
- Full software installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows®7 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows Vista® 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® XP 32-bit (SP2 or higher)
- Driver only installs supported on: Microsoft® Windows® Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows® Server 2003 32-bit (SP3 or higher)
- Mac OS X v 10.5, v 10.6, v 10.7
- Linpus Linux : 9.4, 9.5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux: 5.0, 6.0
- OpenSuSE: 11.3, 11.4
- Fedora: 14, 15
- Ubuntu: 10.04, 10.10, 11.04
- Debian: 5.0, 6.0 and HPUX11i
Paper handling input, standard
- 50-sheet multipurpose tray 1
- 250-sheet input tray 2
- automatic duplexer for two-sided printing
Paper handling output, standard
- 150-sheet output bin
Media sizes supported
Letter, legal, executive, 8.5 x 13 in
Media sizes, custom
Multipurpose tray: 3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in; tray 2 and optional 500-sheet-tray 3: 4.1 x 5.8 to 8.5 x 14 in
Paper (plain, Green mode, light, heavy, bond, color, letterhead, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough); envelopes; labels; transparencies, cardstock
Media weight, supported
Tray 1: 16 to 43 lb (straight through paper path for special media); tray 2, optional 500-sheet tray 3: 16 to 32 lb
Finished output handling
Power and operating requirements
110-volt input voltage: 110 to 127 VAC (+/- 10%), 50/60 Hz (+/- 2 Hz)
570 watts (Printing), 7.3 watts (Ready), 6.2 watts (Sleep), 0.1 watts (Off)
(Power requirements are based on the country/region where the printer is sold. Do not convert operating voltages. This will damage the printer and void the product warranty.)
- ENERGY STAR® qualified
- EPEAT® Silver
Operating temperature range
59 to 90.5ºF
Operating humidity range
- 30 to 70% RH
Dimensions and weight
Minimum dimensions (W x D x H)
14.35 x 14.49 x 10.67 in
Product dimensions maximum
14.35 x 24.94 x 15.10 in (multipurpose tray and foldup cover extended, tray 2 extended to legal-size, touchscreen control panel upraised at 90 degrees)
Package dimensions (W x D x H)
16.9 x 13 x 18.9 in
What's in the box
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401dn
- HP 80A Black LaserJet Toner Cartridge (~2700 pages)
- Installation guide, Getting Started guide, Support flyer, Warranty guide
- Printer documentation and software on CD-ROM
- power cord
No, please purchase USB cable separately
One-year warranty, return to HP Authorized Service Provider